Squaw Valley issued a follow up to the original news of E. coli and coliform bacteria being found in the drinking water. The issue was originally reported on November 8, 2016 to the Placer County Department of Environmental Health when E. Coli and coliform bacteria were detected in the water supply for Squaw Valley, located on the upper mountain. The area remained open as the issue was dealt with, however, the restaurants at the upper mountain were closed until the water was treated and fully passes testing.
Squaw Valley considered the safety of their customers as top priority as soon as they were notified of the issues with the water. Routine testing detected E. coli and coliform bacteria and Squaw Valley immediately began consulting with water safety experts to not only begin immediate treatment to the water, but to protect everyone in the area.
Following a heavy rainstorm in October, the newly upgraded water system that was only installed over the summer became inundated and caused the contamination to the water system. The issue was only found with that single water system, and at no point caused any contamination to water that was available to the public.
Squaw Valley immediately took action to begin treatment of the affected water system and while these measures are being take, they have taken many steps to ensure all their customers receive the top level of care they have come to know. During the time of treatment, bottled water will be available, free of charge, to all customers. Restaurants will remain closed until the water supply is completely safe for use. As they continue to work to correct this issue,, they issued a statement of thanks to Placer County and the Squaw Valley Public Service District for all their help with this matter.